Monday, May 31

The ozzy dream part 1


Note: Another long entry with parts cause i dont want to leave anything out.

We have always wanted to work overseas since we got back studying from the states. Realizing my US student allowances being more than my salary kinda gave me a reality check. USD700 vs RM1900. It took me more than 4 years increment to get the same amount when I was a student. What a system right especially when there is a 7 year bond mounting to RM700K cancellation fees. Knowing about the price tag 4 years after the deal was another 'great' feeling. Kalah Along Bukit Beruntung!

So I studied every possible way to find a better life for the family. Invested here and there. But nothing "cash cow" especially with low capital. Risk and reward lah katakan. So decided that I should find an avenue about migrating. Being American educated and pro america (except the stupid politics and scandals..oh and its non-metric system) it was our first choice but its just too hard to get a green card. So in the end I researched Ozland which was found very wanting. I even went to an agent way back in 2007. Doing the math and timeline (bond is up in sept 2010) I decided to postpone a year or so and decide later.

Nearly a year later, the wife was FB-ing with a friend who just migrated to Perth. Her name is Sheri . After a few nudges towards the door by her the wife was all excited and asked me seriously what I think about it. Of course I was all for it, I just need to time it well as not to pay the bond I told her. So it was decided then we were moving to Ozland. Kinda knowing the timeline of the whole process and having extra cash we started lodging in Dec 2008 (I can still remember the first day I was assessed by the agents and how broke i felt afterwards).

There were ups and downs to the process. Leceh betull but the end justify the means. Had to take IELTS (result = very competant in English), medical, resumes, paperwork, translations etc etc.. and the most feared is the police checks both in Malaysia and the US. I was a little worried that my troubles in the states was in the record but alhamdulillah everything was A ok!! Just a little broke after the whole thing. It cost around RM18k-20k. After i found out that it cost more here in Oz I was a little happier.

So we heard the good news in February. Went crazy with happiness but then I realized the whole stabilizing thing has to be started again. But with hightened spirits, we embraced the adventure and challenge. Told the family and friends the good news. Bought the family one way ticket and made several arrangements. Next you know it we were at the airport flying away leaving everything behind.

Note: This part is a bit boring more on Oz to come. stay tuned. Have to go adventure out to find groceries now.

ps.. our house is still up for sale or rent

1 comment:

Muslimah Perth said...

Yeay.. Akhirnya dah sampai ke garisan penamat :) Happy for u guys!