Twice a year there are 2 games in Spanish La-Liga that football fans all over the world keen to watch. No matter if your a Valencia fan, a Kelantan fan or even a Liverpool fan (are there any left?). Its the head-head show down of the 2 biggest clubs in Spain or I would like to consider the world. Yup Real Madrid vs. Barcelona. Its so hyped up over they even have a 'title' for this matchup called "El Classico". No other league matches across the world has a title for its normal league match (as far as I know - could be lying).
Although its just a normal league game (as Shahrul puts it - macam Almeria vs Getafe etc etc) and does not really carry extra weight in the competition, the match is worked up because of its history and all the behind-the-scene that comes with it. Which is the part I love most (especially being a Real Madrid Fan). Barcelona vs Real Madrid rivalry is arguably the most frictional of the club footballing world. Dramas aside the only real weightage of the game is that in Spanish La Liga to determine the winner after the total points are the head to head goal difference (if you can't follow what I mean - NVM, just ignore it).
Madrid is the capital of Spain while Barcelona is like the capital of Catalan. In simple terms both city talk different languages, have different political believes (Catalan wants/consider themselves independent from Spain vs Real Madrid was 'backed' by the Gomen sort off /Real means Royal), different very influential Media's (Radio Barca, Marca Newspaper), different Ultra (Super Fanatic) fans and different views on football. In modern times there is no better venue to iron out these "differences" than a good sporting game. Thats why the importance/emphasis on El Classico.
I can go on and on and on about this but Zareef dah start bangun (its 630am - punyalah semangat lepas subuh terus nak tulis about Classico) and ajak tengok Batman The Bold and The Brave. Cutting this short here is a list some of the stuff that happen previously gearing up and making this Classico a real watcher and I think you would like to know:
- Pig Head - Barca's fans threw a real Pig's Head at Luis Figo when he was taking a corner kick. Barca felt betrayed when he was loved and was a star player in Barca but moved to Madrid by plotting with Perez to buy out his contract clause.
- Raul's Famous SSSSHHHH celebration - Raul started the famous SSHHHH finger to mouth goal celebration shutting up the whole Nou Camp (100,000 ppl). Cooll right!!
- Barca in grown talents/star versus Real Madrids power buying Galacticos
- For the previous years the only 2 clubs contending for LA LIGA.
- Morinho was an interpreter in Barca but ironically have beaten Barca with 2 clubs he managed (Chealsea and Inter). Morinho itself is a whole new blog entry
- Ronaldinho Standing ovation from the Ultras at Bernabeu after a solo effort. This was when Real Madrid was politically unstable.
- Ronaldo vs Messi... arguably the 2 most biggest star right now. There are also topping the La Liga goal scoring table. Different qualities in both professionally and personality. Ronaldo solo play/'lawa'/stylo/strong arrogant personality of a winner while Messi a small boy from the kampungs but superbly awesome and talented. Excited to see what they will do against each other.
Ok ok .. got to go.. Zareef dah tanya dah lagi... I leave you with a video of the previous goals Madrid scored at Nou Camp.
ps.. Dont forget the game is on a Monday cause Catalan Elections on the Sunday.