Tuesday, November 3

Book critics


We love to be entertained and enjoy a good story. Story telling has been a part of human life dating back to cave drawings. In this modern age the mass enjoy story telling through movies and TV. Somehow recently I am disappointed with unoriginal lame movies/TV shows. You really know when they ran out of ideas when the best movie (in my opinion) is a newer version of a stories being told decades ago e.g Transformers, Batman, Harry Porter, Xmen, Star Trek etc.

Due to my big appetite on unique stories, I turned to books a couple of months back. I have always enjoyed reading but was kinda slow on it for the past few years due to the young kids (you can always blame it on the kids). The only bad thing I hate about reading is after spending a lot of time on it, I get really frustrated if the story isn't just good enough. So here is my take on the books I read (personal opinion saje) so that you will know what to expect cause you cant really trust a professional critic (their limited to ethics and all that):

  1. Twilight Saga (4 books) - If your into romance, its great but a little repetitive. Forbidden love, unconditional sacrifice and all that. Suck you into an imaginary vampire + werewolf world but just not enough depth to keep me entertained.Could do more with the legendary creature stories and conflicts and less corny stuff.
  2. Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett - Amazingly great books. Its very long but keeps you entertained throughout. You will feel like you were there cause its very detailed and tells the story from various version of the characters (the bad guy sometimes doesn't seem all that bad when the author tells it in his point of view). A lot of politic manipulation, scheming, power abuse and stuff like that. Gives hope and disappointments in life. Another great thing, it doesn't have any loose ends.
  3. The Alchemist - People say its a great book. I just don't see it. I feel like I wasted my time and energy on it. They story doesn't have substance. They say double meaning and spiritual effect and all that. I think its bullsh!t and full of pretense. Well you can say anything that. Example "1 Malaysia" - Najib says the meaning is this and that but go askLim Kit Siang or Karpal Singh. I bet they have another take on it.
  4. Lost Symbol by Dan Brown - What a letdown. Failed to live up to 'Angel and Demons' and 'Da Vinci Code'. It was even worse than 'Digital Fortress'. Ending sucked big time and stupid. It had 133 chapters and maybe one third of it is unnecessary . The only good thing was it had really interesting facts a puzzle. He just failed to make a story around it.I emphasize the ending is stupid.
  5. The Kite Runner - Absolutely lovedd ittt. I am writing this entry duly cause of it. Had to tell about how it intrigues me. Its all about honor, comradeship, family responsibility, enduring hardship, redemption and all honorably manly stuff which i think why I liked it a lot.. (yes I try my very best to be an honorable man (God willing) and its very important for me). It hits the bulls eye with a saying "All men wants to be admired by his children and all children wants their father to admire to".
So I hope others will also give inputs and suggestions on other good books. I for one suggest Kite Runner and Pillars of the Earth. I end this entry by quoting my teachers "Jadikanlah membaca itu amalan kita/Make reading a culture"

ps.. Thank you K and Amy for lending us books. I think books are just too expensive here but thats another chapter

1 comment:

K said...

whoaaa aku pun tak suka the alchemist.. finished it in one hour sitting merempat kat mph midvalley.. nasib baik tak beli.. waste of time only.